Friday, July 18, 2014

Paul Lafayet (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I have always enjoyed Paul Lafayet's delicate pastries but this was my first time trying out their macarons. Let's see how they fare against some of the bigger names in the business.



For pastries, I got a little bored with their Bailey dome and mango pistachio dome already so it's time to try something different.



I decided to give the newly launched lychee strawsberry cake a go. A lovely summer creation combining a delicate lychee mousse with strawberry confit and dacquoise. 

Very nice except slightly too sweet (even for me!). 



I thought the maracons are quite good too. The shells are more crunchy comparing to those from Laduree and Pierre Hermé but it's still remarkably delicious.

Out of the five flavors I tried, here's my ranking.

Very Good:  pistachio, oolong
Good:  lychee 
Average:  genmaicha, banana balsamic



Paul Lafayet is slowly gaining a reputation as one of Hong Kong's best confectioners. They have already revealed their plans to expand to Shanghai and Beijing. Stay tuned for more news in the second half of this year.


Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G23, G/F,18 Hanoi Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui/ Tsim Sha Tsui East
Tel: +852 3586-9621
Website: www.paullafayet.com



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think