Saturday, August 3, 2019

The Mandarin Cake Shop (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

When I first heard about Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong naming new Executive Pastry Chef Christophe Sapy to their award-winning culinary team this May, I didn't know what to think of it. In Chef's Sapy's new role, he will oversee a team of 40 involving The Mandarin Cake Shop, a job previously held by long-time executive pastry chef Yves Matthey (by long, I meant almost 40 years at that role). Is this just the first of many changes to come at MO Hong Kong?



Since I was in Central this morning, I decided to come and check out Chef Sapy's new creations. It's been almost 3 months since he's taken over so I'm sure there's going to be something new that he has planned for all of us.



I have never really spent much time sitting at their tea salon before so I didn't realize they have a sea theme decoration here. My little nugget is going to love it if he gets the chance to see it himself.



This is my kind of breakfast! No ham and egg. Only things for my sweet tooth!~



Matcha Mango Cake ($58) - Chef Sapy has very extensive experience in the industry including time at one of my favorite afternoon tea spots in Bangkok - Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok. Before coming to Asia to join MO Bangkok in 2016, he held similar roles in United Arab Emirates at some of the leading luxury hotels for more than a decade (St. Regis, Shangri-la and Le Meridien).

Enough said about Chef Sapy's background. I can't wait to check out one of the team's newest creation, Matcha Mango cake.



I have been one of the strongest critics on The Mandarin Cake Shop's uninspiring creations over the years (I think I label them as one of the most overrated pastry shops in Hong Kong on a number of occasions) but I'm going to take my words back after this visit.



A very impressive dessert. It all starts with the silky, pillowy matcha green tea mousse in the middle. Very delicate on the palate thanks to the deeply rich and slightly bitter matcha flavor with a hint of refreshing sweetness, which was beautifully matched with the acidity of mango gel and fresh mango salsa. It was finished off superbly with the filling of crunchy feuilletine and a small matcha sponge for some textural contrast.



I only had enough time to check out one dessert and it was already a signal that they are trending in the right direction. Changes are definitely coming at The Mandarin Cake Shop and Mandarin Oriental in general (with Amber, SOMM and Sushi Shikon). I'm really excited to see what's being unfolded in the next few months.

But back to The Mandarin Cake Shop for a moment. With Chef Sapy settling in his role, it will be interesting to see what happens to some of the cake shop's famous holdovers, including their timeless cheesecake. Will we see a new version of it coming out soon? Let's find out in a couple of months... 

Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$
Address: M/F, Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong, 5 Connaught Road, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Tel: +852 2825-4008
Website: www.mandarinoriental.com.hk/hongkong/fine-dining/the-mandarin-cake-shop


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think