Thursday, December 5, 2019

Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice 威南記海南雞飯 (Singapore, SINGAPORE) ★★★☆☆

For days, I have been thinking about how to kick off my getaway trip to Singapore. I didn’t really need to start off with a bang especially when I already had Odette, Corner House and Burnt Ends lined up in the next 48 hours. That’s a total of 5 Michelin stars. Not bad for two days’ work! After giving a lot of thoughts to it, I planned to simply treat myself to one of the most popular chicken rice in the city - Wee Nam Kee Chicken Rice (威南記海南雞飯) at Marina Square.




Following a very efficient check-in at the hotel, I dropped off my stuff and slowly walked over to Marina Square managing to get there in less than 10 minutes. It’s my first time visiting Singapore during the winter months and surprisingly, it was a little windy at night which was kind of perfect for my little walk (I thought it’s super hot year round).



Steamed chicken set (SGD$7.80) - With a choice between steamed and roasted chicken, I went the old-school way with their original steamed chicken drumstick. This already came deboned and I had to give the chefs here a lot of credit because it wasn’t easy!



The chicken was really tender but not heavily flavored. In fact, most of the flavors came from the sweet soy (which is the main reason why I’m never a fan of Hainanese chicken to begin with).



The set also included kale with dried shrimp and oyster sauce, fragrant rice and soup. Not bad for only SGD$7.8.






Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$
Address: #04-101/102 The Gallerie, Marina Square, 6 Raffles Boulevard, Singapore
Closest Metro Station: Esplanade
Tel: +65 6333-9830
Opening Hours: 10:30am - 9:30pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think