Sunday, December 29, 2019

Pierre Hermé at Isetan Shinjuku (Tokyo, JAPAN) ★★★★☆

Jelloman is off to her favorite shop in Shinjuku, Sanrio Gift Gate to get her beloved Hello Kitty stuff so I have about half an hour to burn in one of my least favorite part of Shinjuku. Instead of waiting in front of Sanrio, I decided to walk over to Isetan Shinjuku to get some of my favorite sweets from the Pierre Hermé boutique in the B1F food hall. Everyone is getting their favorites all at the same time.



With New Year just around the corner, the Isetan food hall is absolutely packed. I actually didn't have to move my body much as the crowd behind me already got my momentum going with the flow. 



Like the rest of the dessert shops on the same floor, Pierre Hermé was jam packed with people lining up for their favorite pastries and macarons.



There were some adorable creations by the Picasso of Pastry which were new in the festive season but as an old-school guy, it's important that I got something for the sake of nostalgia.



Tarte Infiniment Vanille (864 yen) - I'm obviously referring to his Tarte Infiniment Vanille. It's a feast for both the eyes and palate.



The unbeatable combination of pâte sablée crust, biscuit soaked in vanilla syrup, white chocolate and vanilla ganache and of course, the silky smooth and incredibly rich vanilla mascarpone cream which is the heart and soul of the "Infinitely Vanilla Pie".

My very good friend from Korea who's an expert in French pastries (and fine-dining in general) has been telling me about the quality of Pierre Hermé's pastries in Tokyo. He said they weren't on par with the ones in Paris, especially the Ispahan. Honestly, I wasn't aware of that until he alerted me recently. And true to his words, I thought I noticed the difference in the vanilla mascarpone cream (but then again, it could be the temperature change when it came out of their fridge into the heated subway!).



It doesn't matter which part of the world I'm in. Carrying this (Pierre Hermé) bag around always put a smile on my face.






Food Rating: 7/10
Price: ¥¥¥¥
Address: Isetan Shinjuku B1F, 3-14-1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0022, Japan
Closest Metro Station: Shinjuku Sanchome
Tel: +81 3-3352-1111
Website: www.pierreherme.co.jp
Opening Hours: 10:00am - 8:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think