Sunday, December 8, 2019

Origin + Bloom (Singapore, SINGAPORE) ★★★☆☆

I'm planning to spend the entire afternoon at Jewel but not before I indulge myself in a sweet breakfast at the Marina Bay Sands first. Despite visiting Singapore every year since my little nugget was borned, I have never entered the lobby of the skyscraping hotel once. Yes, I have visited the shoppes downstairs a number of times, even walked past the passage from Garden By the Bay through the hotel's Sky Garden but never once did I have the temptation to enter the hotel. This was the perfect chance to finally do it as I have about an hour to burn before taking off to Changi International Airport.  



I was running around the hotel looking for Sweet Spot, the hotel deli and cake shop but only to find out that it's been re-launched as Origin + Bloom, a European-inspired patisserie. Let's see what they've got for me for breakfast here.



Executive Pastry Chef Antonio Benites cut his teeth at Pierre Hermé Paris and most recently Joël Robuchon Sentosa so expectation was sky high to say the least.



Mango (mango shaped mousse cake on the left) and Piedmont Hazelnut Praline Macaé Chocolate Bar are some of the chef's most inspiring creations.



This is my idea of a perfect breakfast, highlighted by an elegant cheesecake and a cup of pandan earl grey tea (no sign of any pandan flavor though).



Pistachio madeleine (SGD$3.00) - This came with a pistachio icing and some crushed pistachio for some extra bite.



It certainly wasn't bad (but not as pillowy as I expect). The raspberry jam in the middle did well to offset the sweetness from the pistachio. 



Cheesecake (SGD$9.00) - But the focal point of my "breakfast" was of course their pastry. It was a tough call not to pick their signature mango mousse cake but I was looking for something cheesy this morning. 



Lime cheese mousse with acai jelly filling. They also threw in some silver foil on top for good measures. This was very very light for a cheesecake. In fact, it tasted more like a lemon mousse cake than a cheesecake to me. The Brittany biscuit base was a bit weak as well. Yeah, for a patisserie with such pedigree, I certainly expected a bit more.



I had a brief chat with my neighbours who are likely visiting from Europe judging by their accent. They said they came all the way here for "breakfast" this morning because they've heard all the good things about the chef and his time with the "picasso of pastry". They even thought this was supposed to be THE best pastry shop in Singapore which I have my doubts about. But I didn't want to blow my cover as a self-professed foodie so I just politely nodded in agreement and continued with my caffeine fix.





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F Marina Bay Sands, Tower 3 Lobby Hotel,10 Bayfront Avenue, Singapore
Closest Metro Station: Bayfront
Tel: +65 6688-8588
Website: www.marinabaysands.com/restaurants/origin-and-bloom.html
Opening Hours: 7:00am - 10:00pm daily




Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think