Monday, December 23, 2019

Crowd Restaurant 群眾小廚 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

It's been almost 6 months since The Three Musketeers had the last gathering, and it was a farewell dinner for S and his family. To be honest, it was really difficult to say goodbye but knowing S would be happier back in Vancouver, I couldn't be more excited for him.

Last week, I got a ping from S telling us that he would be in town for a few days so the long overdue gathering of ours finally had a date. We didn't want anything fancy, just a simple meal to catch up our good old days. S was tasked with making the call and he picked Crowd Restaurant (群眾小廚), a little Chinese kitchen in Wanchai that he loves to go a lot.



Friends from Vancouver always say they have the best Chinese food in the world. I don't know about that. S certainly didn't think so. With my best buddy in town, of course Guan Gong (關公) and I had to pepper him with some nice Chinese dishes.

Stir-fried clams with black beans and peppers (豉椒炒蜆) - Always a crowd pleaser. This came with lots of "wok hei (鑊氣)". Perhaps it's been too long since I last had this dish, I found myself head over heels over these stir-fried clams.



Signature salt-baked chicken (金牌鹽焗雞) - The chicken was very meaty. I like the seasoning which was minimal at best, and simply let the ingredients (in this case, chicken) shine. 



Stir-fried Chinese chive flower with cashews and dried white bait fish (韮菜銀魚小炒皇) - Another dish with tons of "wok hei". Very good match with our steamed rice.



Salted egg yolk prawns (黃金咸蛋焗大蝦) - Last but not least, some fresh tiger prawns coated with salted egg yolk. The prawns had really nice bouncy texture because quite frankly, I have never been a big fan of this dish as I often found the salted egg yolk sauce a little over the top.



Sweet green bean soup (綠豆沙) - Complimentary dessert from the kitchen.



We had a great time chatting about the present, future and of course touched on some silly stuff from the past. Didn't realize it was almost 10pm. So, we settled the bill and S walked both of us back to Admiralty Station. I am not sure when the three of us will have the opportunity to sit down for another gathering again. I hope it won't take another 6 months.






Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F Kelly House, 14 Gresson Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty / Wanchai
Tel: +852 2866-8088
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 11:30pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think