Monday, December 30, 2019

Block Block Tokyo Roppongi (Tokyo, JAPAN) ★★★☆☆

Believe it or not, this is the third cheesecake place I have visited this afternoon. It had to be a personal record.


Block Block Tokyo, a collaboration with Shirokane Sweets, is a tiny little closet-sized dessert shop on the quiet side of Roppongi, just across the street from the b Hotel Roppongi. I know this place relatively well because of my previous stays at ANA Intercontinental Hotel.


They specialize in these small blocks (thus the name) of basque cheesecakes, a type of burnt cheesecake originated from basque country of Spain.


Their basque cheesecakes come in different flavors, including original (plain cheese), apple cinnamon, black currant, orange and blue cheese.



They call these cute little blocks of cheesecakes "cheese BB".



These range from 320 yen to 360 yen each depending on the flavors.



Basque Cheese BB (320 yen) - The first thing I noticed when I took my first bite was the nice smoky flavors. I guess that's what made them so popular these days. It's almost like having a cheesy version of a Portuguese egg tart. The flaky crust did a brilliant job holding the creamy, custardy center which was richly flavored with cheese. I thought the center was soaked with runny cream cheese too. Very tasty and very addictive.



Blue Cheese BB (320 yen) - This came with a much darker glaze.



I thought the difference between this and the previous basque cheese BB is the fact that this didn't taste like a cheesecake at all. It didn't have the runny center and the salty, sharp flavor along with pungent aroma had me thinking that I was actually having original blue cheese (with a burnt crust).

In short, the basque cheese was much much better.



After trying three cheesecakes with distinctly different flavor and texture, I was absolutely stuffed. Perhaps it's not such a good idea to be having tonkatsu dinner in less than half an hour.




Food Rating: 6/10
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: 14-1-19 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0032, Japan
Closest Metro Station: Roppongi
Tel: +81 3-6804-1252
Website: http://b-b.tokyo/
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 7:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think