Sunday, March 3, 2019

Imperial Treasure Fine Chinese Cuisine 御寶軒 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

After our recent run of western food, I know it's about time to organize a dim sum lunch for the family. Since there is no new kid on the block who's worth a look, returning to Michelin starred Imperial Treasure Fine Chinese Cuisine (御寶軒) sounds like a good plan to me, especially since we haven't been to Tsim Sha Tsui (likewise Harbour City and K11) for quite some time.



I have always enjoyed the dim sum here but it's their service that often leaves something to be desired. To my pleasant surprise, the poor service seemed to be out the door this afternoon.



We were offered a table next to a nice harbour view, too. And we didn't even have to ask (VIP service?).



Steamed shrimp dumpling (笋尖鮮蝦餃) ($52) - Dim sum with a modern twist has never been their strong suit but they do have a nice collection of traditional dim sum including these bite-sized har gow. Pretty tasty.



Steamed pork dumpling “siu mai” (香菇燒賣皇) ($48) - Very nice but somehow there's no sign of the fragrant mushrooms.



Steamed rice roll with BBQ pork (叉燒蒸腸粉) ($55) - They also have very delicious steamed rice rolls here. This one with barbecued pork is my little nugget's favorite. 



Steamed diced mushroom dumpling (什菌如意餃) ($45) - Their non-har gow dumplings are definitely one of their weakest link. The steamed diced mushroom dumpling is probably the most disappointing dish this afternoon. Could have done a much better job with both the wrapper and diced vegetable filling. 



Steamed beef tripe marinated with “chu how” sauce (柱侯金錢肚) ($48) - Very tender and surprised that the chu how sauce wasn't overly thick and spicy.



Pan fried turnip cake (臘味蘿蔔糕) ($45) - Apart from the diced mushroom dumplings, the second dish I could do without. Just didn't have enough preserved sausage and meat in it to make it worthwhile. 



Steamed Malay soft cake (香滑馬拉糕) ($42) - Very pillowy like it's supposed to be. I almost ate the entire cake all by myself. Just couldn't stop eating it. Very tasty stuff.



Fried hor fun with prawn in Penang style (檳城炒河粉) ($168) - One of my favorite noodle dish here and again it didn't disappoint. The flat rice noodles were tossed with prawns, Chinese sausage, scrambled egg, bean sprout and a bit of chili. Very good "wok hei (鑊氣)" as well. 



Pan fried noodles with vegetables in soya sauce (豉油皇炒麵) ($118) - I was afraid the pan fried noodles were going to be very oily and salty (like most places in Hong Kong) but that wasn't the case at all. In fact, they went easy with the seasoning which was just music to my ears. Like the Penang-style fried noodles, very good wok hei and just the perfect texture (not too soaky or dry).



I'm starting to slowly fall in love with this place especially their traditional dim sum. If I'm not looking for funky stuff, this is the place to visit for my Chinese lunch these days (if I want fusion stuff, I go to Dim Sum Library). 

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: 10/F, 1 Peking Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2613-9800


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think