Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Explore Kitchen (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

For the next two days, I'll be spending them in Yau Ma Tei to sharpen my computer skills. Knowing full well that it's an area that I'm totally unfamiliar with, I did my homework the week before and jotted down a few places I could check out for lunch. On my first day, I'm hitting this new building on Nathan Road with an "upstairs" cafe as my lunch destination.



Explore Kitchen is a bright and airy cafe, something that I thought never exists in Yau Ma Tei. During lunch service, it's all set menu affairs which include steak, pasta and salad. Since I'm still on a diet, I opted to go for a combination of salad and fish on this day.



Carrot soup - It was presented in a small wooden tray with bread and a small container for olive oil. Not bad for a small cafe but there were still traces of corn starch at the bottom of the soup.



Grilled halibut with green salad in sesame dressing - This is the tail area of the halibut and just by looking at the presentation, I wasn't impressed at all.

I thought it didn't taste poorly (but it certainly wasn't tasting great neither). For $98, I was expecting so much more.



I took a peek at my neighbors' steaks and pasta, and those seemed to look so much better than my halibut. Perhaps just an isolated case?

Another thing that really irritated me was the way they organized their set menu. The complimentary drink part was very confusing. I ordered hot tea and asked for milk and sugar when it arrived but only to be told that it would be an upgrade (extra bucks for milk). But it's western style tea so it's natural to expect milk to come with it, don't you think? This is Hong Kong for crying out loud...

Food Rating: 3/10
Price: $$$
Address: 4/F, 562 Nathan Road, Yau Ma Tei, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Yau Ma Tei
Tel: +852 2687-3268


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think