Sunday, March 24, 2019

Étoile Boulangerie et Patisserie (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★★☆☆

With Mr. Holmes Bakehouse now out of the picture (permanently closed since late last year, sigh), Étoile Boulangerie et Patisserie takes over the sole possession as the bakery with the best croissant in Seoul (but newcomers Tartine Bakery and b. patisserie may have something to say about this one).



I wanted to make sure I got my hands on one before leaving tomorrow but no cigar. As expected, my favorite ham and cheese croissant was already sold out. Only different flavors of madeleine cakes were left at this hour. When I finally checked with the lady at the counter, she told me there would be a last batch of plain croissant coming out in about half an hour.



So, I left the store temporarily but not before I dropped 2,900 won for one of their plain croissants. Thankfully, I did! Because 20 minutes or so later when I came back, the new batch was also sold out!



Plain Croissant (2,900 won) - So glad I paid for this before getting some air outside and walking around Garosu-gil. The ham and cheese croissant would've made me a real happy camper but this was a nice consolation prize.



The cross section test result wasn't bad. A good croissant should be well layered, flaky and buttery without being too greasy. This ticked most of the boxes but not all of them. For me, it has got to be more flaky and well layered. I definitely like the one from Crème de Marrons a little better.








Food Rating: 5/10
Price: ₩₩₩
Address: 36 Apgujeong-ro 10-gil, Sinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Closest Metro Station: Sinsa
Tel: +82 070-7627-0057



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think