Saturday, March 16, 2019

Birdie at H Code (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

They continue to pepper us with new and exciting dining venues in Central district. Following the opening of HQueens that brought us Ecriture, Arbor and ICHU last year, H Code (from the same development group), a new leisure and dining hub has just recently opened on hilly Pottinger Road around Chinese New Year.



There are currently a handful of restaurants at H Code and the one that really caught my eyes was Birdie, coz I’m a big fan of Japanese charcoal grilled skewers.



Modern chic decor. I love that!



When it comes to dining at a yakitori shop, I always ask to sit at the counter table (if there’s one) because that’s where all the actions are. Watching the chefs work behind the scene simply adds a different dimension to the dining experience.



I was given two kinds of dipping sauce, mustard sauce and one made with fresh wasabi to start the meal.



Wagyu harami (和牛崩沙腩) ($65) - I was first greeted with a wagyu skewer. The harami or skirt steak, comes from the diaphragm area and it’s known as one of the more flavorful cuts. This was so goooood. Very tender and juicy. Even more juicy was the cherry tomato, making it a very nice partner for the harami.



Definitely a must-try dish here!



Pork belly and asparagus roll (五花腩露筍卷) ($45) - This was surprisingly light without much seasoning. Nice smoky flavors from the paper-thin pork belly. Quite decent I thought.



Chicken wing (雞翼) ($38) - Very lovely crispy skin. The meat was firm and juicy. Not bad.



Chicken thigh (雞腿) ($45) - Again very nice crispy texture from the skin but I thought the meat was a little too firm this time for my liking. I guess this bird has been doing too much exercise of late.



Chicken and egg rice bowl (親子丼) ($75) - The rice tasted like it has been simmered in chicken broth so very very flavorful with a fair amount of sweetness. Very soft and tender.



The diced chicken came with some soft bones adding some nice bite to the mix.



Tsukune (免治雞肉串) ($45) - Always a good measuring stick for a yakitori shop.



This minced chicken meatball wasn’t bad. The sweet soy glaze provided a nice crispy coating on the outside while it was still tender and moist inside. I waited a long time for this but it’s totally worth the time.



I was going to order more skewers but checking the time, it was getting a little late and I promised my little one I’d be home for his bed time story. So I quickly settled the bill and head home to get my story books ready.

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: 9/F, H code, LO-Block, 45 Pottinger Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Tel: +852 2789-2881
Website: www.298hk.com/birdie


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think