Saturday, December 15, 2018

Maze Grill by Gordon Ramsay (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

It's been two weeks since my sister arrived for Christmas and we've had nothing but Chinese food so far. In desperate need for some western food, I've started calling a few places during the middle of the week. Finally, I was able to find ourselves a table at Maze Grill, which I last visited during their opening week.



Christmas is obviously in the air with all kinds of Christmas ornaments and lights seen everywhere in Harbour City. I wonder there's turkey on today's menu.



Baby beet salad ($118) - The baby beetroots weren't bad but there's way too much acidity in there. The burrata was a little bit off the mark too (a little too hard). 



Grilled diver scallops ($158) - I had this when I was here last time but I haven't got my taste buds back at the time (from my illness). I thought the scallops were alright. I liked the spicy kick from the Jalapeno but again too much acidity, this time coming from the green apple. On the other hand, there was no sign of the coriander (likely overshadowed by japapeno and green apple).



Dry aged British sirloin (300g) ($388) - After trying their dry-aged rib-eye last time, I thought we should have a go with their sirloin steak. Disappointingly, it wasn't very tender (In fact, a little chewy at times). Maybe we were better off spending the extra $100 for their rib-eye.



Dry aged pork chop ($228) - The pork chop, on the other hand, tasted a lot better than the steak. Really tender and juicy. And the celeriac purée and pickled slaw provided the perfect amount of sweetness and acidity to balance out the richness of the pork.



Pea and parsley risotto ($138) - Very clean and refreshing flavors from the green pea and parsley. Love the slightly earthy notes too. A real nice complement to our meat dishes.



Sticky toffee pudding ($78) - Dessert really saved the day for us this afternoon. The sticky toffee pudding is by far my favorite dish from the foul-mouthed chef's repertoire and it's again very very good. It came with the usual supporting cast of dates, pecans, topped by a scoop of vanilla ice cream.



Coconut and dark chocolate cremaux ($88) - Slightly less successful (but still pretty good) was the coconut and dark chocolate cremaux. I thought the contrasting temperature between the dark chocolate cremaux and coconut sorbet was something that was fairly enjoyable from this dessert. The sweetness of the chocolate was also nicely complemented with a hint of passion fruit and finished off with candied walnuts, shredded coconut and a toffee tuile. Not bad.



Following our relaxing lunch, we got to spend the afternoon admiring this view which could also be seen from Maze Grill's patio.



I thought everything would taste better with my taste buds back in action but I guess not. At least not the savory dishes.


Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OTE401, Level 4, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2765-0890
Website: www.diningconcepts.com/restaurants/maze-Grill


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think