Monday, October 1, 2018

Spring Moon 嘉麟樓 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

It's been two weeks since I started recovery on my major health setback and not surprisingly, I have yet to have any decent Chinese food over those two weeks (congee doesn't count, okay!?). So, when someone suggested having dim sum at Spring Moon, I really couldn't say no.



It's National Day holiday so the restaurant was fully packed with both locals and tourists. They have just got their Michelin star back last year. I wonder if it has anything to do with it.



As always, they started us off with their signature snack, candied walnut. I can eat these all day.



Golden mashed taro with diced abalone and chicken (鮑魚雞粒荔芋盒) ($78) - Very flaky and buttery.



It was crispy on the outside while moist and soft in the middle just the way it should be. Very nice start.



Steamed shrimp dumplings with bamboo shoots (筍尖鮮蝦餃) ($88) - Being the old school person that I am, I thought the shrimp dumplings should always come first. This was so good. Perfect portion of bamboo shoot and shrimp. And just a single bite-size.



Steamed minced beef dumplings with wild mushrooms and tangerine peel (陳皮野菌牛肉賣) ($72) - I have never been a big fan of the pork siu mai so this was perfect. Lovely fragrant thanks to the aged tangerine peel. My little nugget loves it.



Baked barbecued pork puffs (香焗叉燒酥) ($72) - Hands down, the best crispy char siu puff in Hong Kong. I would never come here without ordering this. Very buttery crust with some seriously delicious BBQ pork fillings sandwiched in the middle. The sauce was so rich and flavorful. Yum~



Steamed rice flour rolls with Hungarian mangalica barbecued pork (匈牙利鬈毛豬叉燒腸粉) ($98) - The only mistake I made today was the rice roll. This was quite decent but it was nothing compared to the ones I had at Greater China Club (大公館) a few weeks ago.



Steamed rice flour rolls with assorted fungus (鼎湖上素腸粉) ($98) - Again a little underwhelming. The assorted fungus and carrots were slightly too crunchy for me. Personally, I prefer them a little softer to go with the rice flour rolls. 



Fried vermicelli with crab meat and egg (蟹肉金絲米粉) ($288) - The fried rice noodles were nicely coated with egg giving it some really nice crispiness. 



Other than the rice flour rolls, everyone was pretty satisfied with our meal this afternoon. But then, when was the last time I came away unhappy with Spring Moon's dim sum. I think probably never. 


Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 1/F, The Peninsula Hong Kong, 19-21 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2696-6760
Website: www.peninsula.com/en/hong-kong/hotel-fine-dining/spring-moon-cantonese


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think