Thursday, October 11, 2018

Beet (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

About a year ago, Beet quietly took over the space which was previously Le Port Parfumé, one of my favorite French bistros in Sheung Wan. While they still maintain the rustic and industrial-chic décor, the menu has taken more of a modern European approach with a focus on seasonal and locally sourced ingredients.



At the helm of Beet's kitchen is young Singaporean chef Barry Quek who cut his teeth at Joel Robuchon Singapore and Les Amis, before going on his culinary journey in Europe and Australia. His stint at Melbourne's Attica really caught my eyes because when I was there last year, I was fascinated by their unique fruit and vegetable driven menu and how it worked with progressive cooking techniques.



I am still trying to stay away from all those meat dishes so this appetizer was perfect for me. Looks like the chefs here have been working with local farmers when they were developing their menus. 



Underneath the leafy spinach was a layer of local Chinese cabbage served with a brown butter purée and yogurt. I was feeling a little healthier already. Very good start.



The Chinese cabbage was followed by pan fried sea bass with a bit of kale. 



This was done perfectly with the butter sauce adding some nice buttery touch to the fish.



Dessert was supposed to be burnt mead ice-cream but since I'm still on a pretty strict diet, I decided to swap it with something alcohol-free.



It was a really scrumptious dessert featuring a scoop of homemade pear sorbet, slices of sweet pear and crushed chestnut. A very nice wrap for this really wonderful meal. 



Sadly, I didn't get to check out their more popular dishes including the beef tartare and pork belly. I think a return trip for their tasting menu is a must.





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: 6 Kau U Fong, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 2824-3898
Website: www.beetrestaurant.com



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think