Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Mon Kee Cafe 旺記冰室 Tsim Sha Tsui (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

After making my monthly visit to my hair stylist, I wound up on Ashley Road hunting for a place for my late dinner. It was getting rather late so I wasn't all that picky. That was when I first spotted a new Hong Kong style cafe called Mon Kee Cafe (旺記冰室) located right next to Goose Manor by Yue Kee (裕。鵝莊).



I love visiting cha chaan tengs (Hong Kong style tea restaurants). It's something I enjoy doing every week. And I hope these "Made in Hong Kong" dishes never die, just like Rock'n Roll.



Pantyhose milk tea - A cha chaan teng can't possibly survive without a nice pantyhose milk tea. This was decent but I prefer stronger and more concentrated tea flavors. And a bit more creamy and full-bodied probably won't hurt as well.



Scrambled eggs with prawns and beef in sweet soy sauce - There're about two handfuls of signature dishes around here (reading from the menu) with their scrambled eggs being the most popular one of the bunch (based on what my neighbors ordered). 

I really like the presentation of this. Very Japanese. Very clean and sharp. For a moment, I almost forgot it's an old school dish that came out of hole-in-the-wall tea restaurants.

I thought the scrambled eggs were pretty tasty. The fact that the restaurant only uses Japanese eggs might have something to do with it (at least psychologically). Or it could be their homemade sweet soy providing the icing on the cake.



I love a clean and sleek tea restaurant like this one. Thought the meal was fairly nice too. My only complaint was the beef being a little chewy at times. Perhaps they should think about using Japanese beef as well (on top of the eggs)? Food for thought...




Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$
Address: G/F, Kowloon Centre, 29-39 Ashley Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2617-2616


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think