Saturday, June 16, 2018

Grubers (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

It was going to take a lot to convince me to venture over to Kowloon Bay this weekend but my little nugget talked me into it with a trip to see the "Jurassic Park" exhibition at Megabox.



But first up, it's time for a quick pit stop at Telford Plaza. I have always wanted to check out Grubers, a gourmet burger joint from Monaco who's famous for their double cheeseburger. This would be the perfect time for a visit since all of us were super hungry.



Turned out, there were more than just cheeseburgers in their repertoire. Beef-chimichurri, beef-jalapeno blend and beef-truffle blend, they all looked promising on paper.



Everyone including myself was leaning towards getting a combo with our choice of burger, fries and drink at the same time.



Grubers’ beef and truffle blend with extra mushroom - A no-brainer for me. I thought the truffled beef patty was pretty nice. I suspected there would be good chemistry between the beef and truffle and I was right. The melted cheese, lettuce, tomato and mushroom were all nice additions.



Chicken nuggets - I knew their "sexy fries" were as popular as their beef-truffle blend burger but somehow I decided to take their chicken nuggets instead (with $10 supplement). Huge mistake. These really made McNuggets look like the tastiest food on earth.

On a separate note, I managed to steal a couple of sexy fries from Jelloman and they were way better than these nuggets. The coating with sweet corn provided the fries with some extra crispiness. So, my advice is to save yourself the extra $10 and just stick with the small sexy fries which came free with the combo.



Chocolate milkshake - Again I dropped a few extra bucks to upgrade to a chocolate milkshake (only 3 flavors here: chocolate, strawberry and mango). This was so watery and bland. It really tasted more like an iced chocolate (made with chocolate powder) rather than a milkshake. (I guess you can't call this a milkshake if it's nowhere near milky or creamy enough). I think I will take McDonald's chocolate shake over this one on any given day.



Come here for the burgers and think twice before getting yourself a combo.

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop P23, Podium, Telford Plaza I, 33 Wai Yip Street, Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon Bay
Tel: +852 2111-0595
Website: www.ilovegrubers.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think