Friday, April 20, 2018

10 Shanghai 十里洋場 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Everyone got a bit lazy to come up with a place for dinner tonight. Since I was already in Causeway Bay to pick up my camera from the repair shop, I thought let's keep it simple and just have dinner in the area and that's when 10 Shanghai (十里洋場)'s name came up.



We were just here about a month ago. Personally, I found their snacks and dim sums pretty good but there were a number of improvement areas to be addressed (noise, service...etc).



It's great to finally activate my camera off DL (disabled list). I got so tired of taking photos using my iPhone, especially those food pictures from up close. The quality just wasn't up to par.



Smoked soft-boiled eggs with black truffle pearl (黑松露珍珠燻溏心蛋) ($48) - I lovvve soft-boiled eggs smoked with tea leaves. It's one of my favorite dish from Shanghainese cuisine.



These ones really looked good on paper with black truffle pearls in the mix but I thought the truffle flavor was a bit light. On the other hand, they were a little heavy-handed with the white pepper powder. Not very tasty and I blame it on the seasoning which they failed to get right.



Deep-fried sweet and sour mandarin fish with pine nuts (翠珠魚花 - 松子魚) ($268) - Beautifully plated and well portioned. The mandarin fish was pretty delicious and it provided good value for money as well. Easily the best dish of the night.



Braised chicken and shrimp dumplings in chicken consommé (濃湯砂鍋雲吞雞 - 半份) ($198) - I noticed it read "rich consommé" in the Chinese translation there which I didn't pay much attention to at the time of ordering. But this was really strong and overpowering. Most of us needed to drink a few cups of water to get the taste out of our mouth.



The braised chicken was pretty nice though, especially after absorbing all the flavors from the rich broth.



Traditional braised pork balls in brown sauce (張大千紅燒獅子頭) ($128) - I love Lion's Head and frankly, this was quite decent. Interestingly, the brown sauce was not the same thick sauce I got accustomed to over the years. Personally, I won't mind a bit more seasoning (such as a thicker sauce) coz after all, that's what Shanghainese cuisine is all about - 濃油赤醬.



Spinach with purple sweet potato and matsutake in chicken broth (紫薯松茸浸菠菜) ($118) - Love the chicken broth which was mild and spot on, yet gave the spinach, purple sweet potato and matsutake enough to work with.



Signature steamed xiao long bao (金牌小籠包) ($65) - A freebie from a HSBC promotion. Not bad.



Stir-fried glutinous rice cake with shredded pork and shepherd's purse (薺菜肉絲炒年糕) ($108) - Another hearty dish which everyone enjoyed a lot including my little one.



I thought the kitchen had a pretty inconsistent night. We got some dishes which were heavily seasoned (but shouldn't have been) while others were noticeably under-seasoned (like the Lion's Head).

But despite the inconsistent performance, I was quite happy to see some major improvements from the service team. The lady who took care of us was amazing throughout the night. So, at least, they got one thing right since our last visit.

Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 101, Lee Garden Two, 28 Yun Ping Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Causeway Bay
Tel: +852 2338-5500
Website: www.10-shanghai.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think