Friday, March 16, 2018

Osteria Marzia at The Fleming (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

The second leg of my Restaurant Week double header took place this afternoon and it was a restaurant I've never been before.



Located on the ground floor of the newly renovated Fleming Hotel in Wan Chai, Osteria Marzia pays homage to southern Italy's coastal culinary traditions highlighted by its exotic and diverse cuisine. Based on what I have heard from my server, they have just started serving lunch this week after opening late last year.



Some charcoal grilled bread to start off the meal. I love these colorful plates which are just perfect for the colorful coastal cuisine of Italy.



For my starter, I've picked grilled Hokkaido scallops over their sea bream carpaccio and I thought I struck gold netting three big pieces of Hokkaido scallops at first glance. But when I looked a little closer, it was three unevenly portioned scallops sliced from a larger piece.

Portion aside, I believe they have a pretty nice dish. The scallops were nicely matched with some Jerusalem artichoke purée, artichoke chips and dabs of white lemon sauce before they put the finishing touch on with a hint of yuzu. Just love the way the Jerusalem artichoke delivered some nice sweetness complementing the richness of the scallops and acidity of lemon and yuzu nicely.



Next up was pumpkin soup. This was paired with olive oil, squid ink and green onion. Reasonably good again.



After learning that their pastas were all made in house, I just thought I couldn't go wrong with their homemade linguini with prawns as my main course. This was pretty decent although the pasta was clearly less satisfying than what we got from Pici (for starter, less eggy).



Dessert was freshly spun gelato with a hint of vanilla. Despite the less-than-ideal presentation, I thought it tasted alright.



Osteria Marzia provides us a nice retreat to coastal region of Italy but unfortunately, there's very little pleasant surprise from the lunch menu they have put together for Restaurant Week.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: G/F, 41 Fleming Road, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 3607-2253
Website: www.osteriamarzia.com.hk


Osteria Marzia Blacksheep at The Fleming Hotel Wanchai Hong Kong Southern Italy Sicily coastal culinary cuisine

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think