Sunday, October 29, 2017

Chikalicious Dessert Bar (Shanghai, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I kept telling my friends how excited I was to be moving to Xintiandi for the second half of my Shanghai trip. Not only is the area best known for its bars and restaurants, it's also a haven for dessert lovers.

After checking into my hotel in Xintiandi, I quickly hopped over to The House (新天地新里) where I found some of the most amazing desserts in the area.



My first stop was Chikalicious Dessert Bar, a dessert bar I was pretty familiar with since my days in Bangkok.



Chikalicious Dessert Bar only offers a single 3-course prix fixe dessert menu (188 rmb) consisting of an amuse bouche, a choice between 5 decadent desserts and petite fours. All of the dessert choices come with a recommended wine pairing.



My sweet journey started off with a simple amuse bouche.



Cassis sorbet served on a bed of brown sugar foam with lemon crumbs sprinkled on top. I like the balance of acidity and sweetness there.



I had their signature Fromage Blanc Island cheesecake last time so I was determined to try something different this time.



I'm a sucker when it comes to Thai milk tea so why not the "chai Thai" tiramisu?



Mascarpone cheese with caramelized peanut butter cream and a little bit of sponge cake in the middle, and then finished with a scoop of Thai milk tea ice-cream. I don't know if I would call this a tiramisu. I just didn't see the resemblance (although I admit it was fairly tasty).



Petite fours were a trio of canapés, coconut marshmallow, chocolate with strawberry filling and almond cookie which were a little uninspiring. 



I thought 188 rmb was a hefty price to pay for a simple amuse bouche and an interesting dessert (the petite fours was more of a throw-in) in Shanghai but I was glad to check this place off my list.





Food Rating: 5/10
Price: ¥¥¥¥
Address: Shop 205a, Xintiandi, No.5, 123 Xingye Lu by Madang Lu, Shanghai, China
兴业路123弄5号新天地新里106单元及205a, 近马当路
Closest Metro Station: Huangpi South Road / Xintiandi
Tel: +86 21 6333-9233



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think