Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Gaddi's 吉地士 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

As a long-time fan of Gaddi's, I couldn't be happier to be back at this prestigious dining room again. But first, I must admit, I haven't been coming here as often as I would like for the past few years and there are a couple of reasons behind. For one, Gaddi's is not the most kids friendly restaurant in the city (nor the rest of the fine dining restaurants with the exception of Amber). Its children's policy is one of the strictest around town making it a little difficult for me. Secondly, I have been hearing mixed reviews about their previous chefs. But that seems to be a thing of the past now. Friends have been telling me that current chef de cuisine Xavier Boyer has the restaurant going in the right direction. And the fact that chef Boyer is a Robuchon alumnus, gives me a good sense of comfort about his cuisine.



Time seems to have stood still in this dining room. Everything looks exactly the same as it was at my last visit although the restaurant manager was quick to point out that a few changes have been brewing for them recently. For instance, they have relaxed their children's policy for the weekend brunch from age 10 (I believe) to 3. A even better news for gentlemen, as we are no longer required to wear a jacket for dinner here anymore.



First thing first, some bread including a French baguette and bacon croissant before my starter was served. 



The bacon croissant was soooo good. Underneath the buttery crust were chunks of onion and bacon. I was quite tempted to ask for more but my starter was already waiting on deck.



Brittany crab, tomato jelly, cauliflower - The attraction here is obviously the thick slab of Brittany crab meat nicely topped with charred cauliflower. 



On the left to compliment the Brittany crab was a similar sized tomato jelly with diced vegetables in the middle, that was garnished with beetroot and zucchini on top. I thought the clean flavors of the tomato jelly played its role of catalyst well in elevating the sweetness of the crab meat. Pretty nice start.



Pan-seared Hokkaido scallops, endive and cauliflower risotto - I decided to go with something from the sea again for my main dish. Judging by the size of these Hokkaido scallops, it looks like I have made the right call.



The scallops were pan seared nicely while finished with a thin slice of cheese (I think?), beetroot and arugula on top. The combination of scallops and cheese was surprisingly good.



Raspberry choux puff with hazelnut feuillantine and rose tea ice-cream - Dessert was a pretty easy choice for me as I went with the raspberry choux puff.



Right in the middle of the action was the hazelnut feuillantine. I really enjoyed the earthy flavor from the rose tea ice-cream which was the perfect icing on the cake.



A simple petite four sent me home a very happy customer.



I was great to come back to the grand daddy of luxury French dining and experienced their modern French cuisine again. I have to agree with my friends that chef Boyer is the right man to lead this kitchen forward and I look forward to coming back soon, perhaps as early as my little nugget's birthday meal.

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 1/F, The Peninsula Hong Kong, 22 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2696-6763
Website: http://hongkong.peninsula.com/en/fine-dining/gaddis-french-restaurant


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think