Thursday, October 26, 2017

Kee Wah Tearoom 奇華茶室 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Last week, we were still mourning the loss of one of our favorite afternoon tea spots in Causeway Bay - Anytime (無休館) at Jade & Pearl. The long-time tea restaurant used to be my go-to place for a relaxing lunch or afternoon tea when I first moved back to Hong Kong more than a decade ago. But a few months ago, the entire restaurant area down at J&P Plaza was closed for a brief renovation and when the dust has finally settled, it was revealed that all the old timers including Anytime and Padang Indonesia Restaurant (巴東印尼餐廳) had been sent packing. Very sad news!

What I didn't realize was that Anytime has already found a new home at Lee Tung Avenue, although under a different name - Kee Wah Tearoom (奇華茶室).




There are a total of three stories here, a ground-floor bakery shop, a first-floor tea restaurant and lastly a second-floor workshop which will be primarily used for cooking classes.




Hainan chicken rice set ($88) - I used to have this all the time at Anytime, along with their char kway teow (炒貴刁). I won't say it's the best Hainan chicken rice out there but it gets the job done.




The set comes with a free drink and as usual, I went with their iced milk tea which was slightly off the mark this afternoon. I like it a little more milky than that.



Unfortunately, they are only serving 3 items during lunch hours so I didn't get to try some of their signature dishes such as pan-fried turnip cakes and sweet black sauce chicken wings. I guess I will have to make a special trip back some time soon.



Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: 1/F, 188 Queens Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2148-3388


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think