Monday, October 2, 2017

Fine Foods (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

When it comes to consistent, high quality cakes in Hong Kong, few can compare to Fine Foods, the iconic pastry shop in Royal Garden Hotel, which was why we found ourselves here hunting for my little nugget's birthday cake this afternoon.



Rose and raspberry cake ($380) - The rose flavored vanilla mousse was silky smooth and it meshed well with the raspberry filling in the middle. A tad sweeter than I expected but very nice.



With the mid autumn festival fast approaching, I thought we better get ourselves some moon cakes as part of our celebration. While the thought of getting some traditional moon cakes did come across my mind, but at the end, these mooncake pastries were just too cute for me to resist.



Black sesame mooncake pastry ($60) - Black sesame plays the role of lotus seed paste here with two "vanilla chocolate" (I think) egg yolks stuffed in the middle. The texture reminded me a little of the always-popular "snow skin mooncake" (冰皮月餅) but the flavors were a little more subtle. Not bad.



Yuzu mooncake pastry ($60) - Less successful was the yuzu version of this mooncake pastry. Call me a purist but I always thought moon cakes are supposed to be sweet so this "acidic" one featuring yuzu didn't get muchlove from me. 




Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Lobby Level, The Royal Garden, 69 Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui East, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: East Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2733-2045
Website: theroyalgardenhotel.com.hk/index.asp


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think