Wednesday, October 18, 2017

El Cerdo Wanchai (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

My tonsillitis took a little longer than expected to heal so I had to spend the entire week eating at home to rest my tonsils. But as soon as the symptoms were gone, I was back to my usual tricks again. 



A few months ago, I heard about chef Simon Lynch's El Cerdo opening in Wanchai. I was trying to pick the right time for my first visit and I guess this would be the perfect timing, after eating 5 straight days at home.



We had a choice to sit at the "normal" tables but I guess I would much prefer sitting at the counter table to watch chef Lynch work.



After my week-long battle with tonsillitis, I was getting a bit more health conscious these days so I started things off with a simple salad.



Iberian meat platter - It comes with a variety of Iberian ham with the Bellota easily beating out the rest of the competition.



Chorizo Tortilla - I always tell my friends about El Cerdo's tortilla (Spanish omelette). It's my favorite one in town because it has tons of potatoes in the middle. That's perfect for a potato freak like me!  



Mini beef burgers with quail egg and chorizo - The beef patty was pretty juicy but somehow not as tasty as the one I had last time (at their Tsuen Wan outpost). 



I did enjoy the quail egg and chorizo in there.



Churros with nutella sauce - For an additional $10, the lunch set comes with these freshly made churros served with this seriously rich nutella sauce.



Deep fried rice pudding with orange and saffron sauce - Of course, I didn't stop there. More desserts in the form of rice pudding balls, deep-fried and drizzled in a saffron sauce. Love the orange zest inside the rice balls for a little bit of different texture and mild acidity. Fairly nice.



I had to fight off the temptation to check out chef Alvin Leung's Plato 86 at Brim 28 to come here this afternoon but it's all worth it. Thank you chef Lynch for a wonderful meal again. I would most definitely be back pretty soon (Just the tortilla is worth the visit). 

Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 114 Lockhart Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2832-9222


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think