Sunday, July 30, 2017

Royal Plaza Hotel Cake Shop (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

After meeting up with my high school friends for lunch at MOKO, I walked around the shopping mall looking for some desserts to brighten up my day. Suddenly, it came across my mind that I have not visited the cake shop at Royal Plaza Hotel for a while. So, without any hesitation, I started taking off straight towards the hotel.



I didn't realize it's been 20 years since the Royal Plaza Hotel Cake Shop first opened its door to customers already. That's pretty amazing. To celebrate this milestone anniversary, the cake shop is offering some pretty funky birthday cakes such as this Thai raw shrimp sweet surprise cake (鬼馬泰式生蝦蛋糕) which is actually lemon and mixed berry mousse cake (檸檬雜莓慕絲蛋糕) in disguise.




But I was looking for something less funky this afternoon so a slice of tiramisu would do the trick for me. Disappointingly, this tasted more like a coffee cake than a tiramisu. The layers of different flavors were sorely missing here. Not a very good start!



I thought an easy way to judge a cake shop's quality is to try some of their simpler cakes like a tiramisu. It's like going to a traditional Chinese restaurant, you gotta have a good sweet and sour pork, right!?

Well, after that failed move, I was all ready to pack my bag but I was in a forgiving mood so I ended taking a flyer on another cake - Berriolette mousse cake (雜草莓紫蘿蘭慕絲蛋糕). This was a less common pastry so I was hoping I could unearth a gem here.

Without question, the berriolette mousse cake was a lot better but I couldn't really tell the difference between that and a mixed berries mousse cake to be honest. There's a fair amount of acidity there and it's undoubtedly silky smooth but something seemed to be missing (something with contrasting flavors or texture).



Food Rating: 4/10
Address: Royal Plaza Hotel, 193 Prince Edward Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Mongkok East
Tel:+852 2622-6256
Website: www.royalplaza.com.hk/dining/cakeshop



View Larger Map

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think