Thursday, June 15, 2017

Operetta (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Operetta, one of my go-to restaurants at Pacific Place has just launched a new lunch menu this week. As I knew I would be in Admiralty to get my heart checked out this afternoon, I thought I should go and check out that menu at the same time.



This is a much more simplified set lunch menu they've got now with fewer appetizers (from 8 to 6) and main courses (13 to 8) to choose from. Out goes my favorite appetizers including chef Konishi's teriyaki wings, fried Nagasaki cuttlefish and manzo tonnato and in comes stuff like beef carpaccio, grilled white asparagus with Hollandaise sauce and pan-fried tomino cheese. Pretty interesting change but honestly, I don't really care as long as the new stuff are all good.




Beef carpaccio - I could smell the truffle from pretty far away. A server then walked past me with this in her hand and I knew immediately that it's going to be a pretty fragrant dish.



While I wasn't surprised by the lovely fragrance of the summer truffle, I was somewhat stunned (but in a good way) by the thickness of these tender slices of beef. They were not razor thin as I thought they would be. In fact, it was considered pretty meaty for a carpaccio. I really like this dish a lot especially the little dabs of green peas purée and summer truffle sauce on top giving the carpaccio more greater complexity of flavors.



Tiger prawns - This was a fairly good but undersized dish featuring a pair of tasty tiger prawns. It was served with a pizzaiola sauce along with some sautéed French beans on the bottom. Reasonably good but it was no comparison with the previous dish.



I didn't get the chance to check out their dessert menu coz I was too busy taking off for dessert elsewhere. But all in all, I had a nice dining experience this afternoon. Service was very good as usual and the revamped menu looked fresh and interesting. I will definitely come back for their lobster campofilone sometime soon.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 112, Pacific Place 1/F, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2115-8080
Website: www.operetta.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think