Thursday, June 22, 2017

Odelice! (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

Finding a good place to eat in Wanchai is starting to wear me out. Instead of going back to the old good places that we came to enjoy all these time, we all decided to step out of our comfort zone this afternoon and explore a number of places we have never visited before and Odelice! suddenly came up.

Not to be confused as people lining up for Odelice, these folks captured in the picture were actually queuing up for a Vietnamese restaurant right next door. Maybe I should have followed their footsteps instead!



Odelice! turns out to be a self-served casual eatery offering around 10 dishes on their lunch menu.



I started things off with their garden salad which was served with a fairly thick salad dressing. Not a very pleasant first impression there. The cucumber and cherry tomatoes were fine but the lettuce was not crisp and sweet like I thought they should be.



When the menu reads "roast chicken and avocado salad...", I fully expect roast chicken and avocado to be featured prominently in the dish so I got a scare when my salad first arrived. Other than the few pieces of thin-sliced chicken fillet and avocado, it was virtually the same salad I had for starter. What was that all about!?

I will take part of the blame for misinterpreting the menu but whoever put this together should also know better (roast chicken could literally mean a half chicken roasted in the oven???). This is just very misleading and perhaps writing it as "green salad with roast chicken and avocado" would be much much more fitting. Coz after all, the green salad made up for at least 70-80% of the dish.



For a place that prides itself as a modern French kitchen, I certainly expect a little more French flavors in the lunch menu so this was pretty disappointing. Their dinner menu was supposed to be better and more "Frenchie" with stuff like duck leg confit but I guess I will never find out how good that is.

PS. To cut them some slack, my colleague's spaghetti with smoked salmon did look alright. (But too bad I'm rating this experience strictly from what I've put into my mouth!)

Food Rating: 3/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 9, 2 Landale Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2520-2311


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think