Sunday, May 7, 2017

The Beastro (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★★☆☆

The more I watch chef Matthew Chung's TV shows, the more impressed I got with his understanding and appreciation of good food. I'm starting to get a little curious about The Beastro, an American-style bistro he happens to co-own in Hongdae too.



Despite having it marked on my Google map, I couldn't find the whereabout of The Beastro until I started to look around skyward. Turns out it's located on the second floor of a building near the busy junction to Hongik University with the entrance hidden on the side street.



After taking the stairs up to the first-floor reception area which also houses the open kitchen, we were asked to go up another level to the second-floor dining room. That's a pretty nice dining area they've got here.



Shellfish spaghetti pomodoro (₩18,000) - They have a pretty small menu here covering 4 starters, 2 sandwiches, 3 pasta and 6 main. I decided to check out their shellfish spaghetti pomodoro first. This was really well portioned with lots of seafood (mussels, manilla clams and tiger shrimps) in it. In fact, there's probably more seafood there than pasta which is generally a good sign.

Most of us were quite happy with the dish but I'm someone who's very picky about my pasta and to me, the spaghetti was a bit overcooked. Perhaps just by 30-40 seconds but that's the difference right there.



Crispy pork belly (₩22,000) - This was much much better. The pork belly was done very nicely and I like the supporting cast of barley risotto, roasted kabocha squash and fried kale. Everyone raves about the extra kick from the apple mustard jus too.



I don't know what to make of this meal. We have one pretty good dish (the pork belly) and one so-so pasta. It's fairly difficult to draw any conclusions from the small samples (out of a very small food menu) so I guess I will have to trust my instincts on this one.

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: ₩₩₩
Address: 2/F, 358-32 Seogyo-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Closest Metro Station: Hongik University
Tel: +82 2-334-2500


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think