Friday, May 26, 2017

Choo Choo (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Choo Choo is a place I thought deserves another chance following just a so-so performance last time I visited. This time around, I'm bringing my youngest cousin along so I could sample a few more dishes.



Not everybody takes the train everyday so their train carriage decor does have its appeal.



Blood Orange Crab meat Salad ($118) - I only feel a little health conscious before my annual body checks so of course it's not my idea to order a salad to start off the meal. This was fairly decent with a lot of green leaves and fresh crab meat (could taste the sea water flavors still!) in it. Could have done a little more with the blood orange though (maybe a blood orange dressing?).



Crispy pork belly with peppery tomato sauce ($158) - Everybody left and right has ordered this dish so we thought we couldn't go wrong with this pick. Like the previous dish, I thought it's pretty decent but nothing to write home about. The pork belly was crispy enough but it wasn't as rich and flavorful as I first expected. And it's already been smothered with that peppery tomato sauce.



Sous vide salmon fillet with French mustard sauce ($158) - The best looking dish from the trio. The thick slab of salmon was garnished with some black olive, cherry tomato and dabs of mustard sauce. My first impression was pretty good until I picked it apart. Thought the meat was a little bit soft, and to a certain degree mushy in the middle. It just didn't have that buttery-soft and meltingly tender texture to it. Sad.



My cousin didn't have very good things to say about our dinner tonight. I, being the more diplomatic of the two, didn't think the food was awfully bad. There was certainly room for improvement and I still think they have a chance to be a pretty good restaurant in an area that desperately needed one. 



Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 1, G/F, Cheung Fai Building, 364-368 Shun Ning Road, Cheung Sha Wan, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Cheung Sha Wan
Tel: +852 3707-1034


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think