Friday, February 17, 2017

Mobius Bar and Grill (Sydney, AUSTRALIA) ★★★☆☆

After our flight got delayed for more than an hour, we finally arrived in Sydney safe and sound. Our little one managed to sleep through the 9-hour flight which was very good news but I also got some bad news that one of our three luggages didn't make it to Sydney. So we filled out all those missing luggage forms at the counter quickly, headed out of the airport and went straight to Pullman Airport Hotel Sydney, where we would be staying for just one night before flying out to Melbourne early next morning.

I was still pretty tired after taking a short nap so instead of going out to dinner with my family, I decided to stay in and have a quick dinner at one of the hotel restaurants. Located on the ground floor of our hotel is a pretty good looking bar and grill called Mobius. I have the gut feeling that this is going to be better than any restaurants I have ever tried at an airport hotel.




The all-day menu here has a good mix of modern Australian dishes and international flavors (with a bit of Asian twist) and it features some of the best regionally grown ingredients served on small plates in tapas-style portions, which are designed to be shared



I'm smelling like a piece of barbecued meat right now, sitting next to the grill.



Seared scallops, sweet corn, black pudding ($29) - The half portion came with three pieces of sea scallops, seared to golden brown color on both sides and served with different textures of sweet corn.



Interesting idea to serve it with a piece of black pudding. Not bad.



Duck breast, caramelized cherries, onion soubise ($38) - There were plenty of options available for my main dish (linguini, salmon, Korean fried chicken, pork belly, barramundi etc.) but I was glad that I took the pan seared duck breast.



The incredible richness of my crispy-skinned duck breast was so irresistible and it was wonderful having it along with the cress, baby onion and parsnip puree. That was simply succulent!



Traditional tiramisu ($12) - Finishing things off for me was an old-fashioned tiramisu. I have seen a version of their tiramisu with rhubarb on the internet before and not in this one which has the usual mascarpone, expresso, ladyfingers and mixed berries. That was pretty decent.



As I have already predicted, this meal was much better than anything I have ever tasted from an airport hotel restaurant. Kudos to chef Daniel Simpson and his team for their good work behind the grill. No wonder this place was so packed on a Friday night.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F Pullman Sydney Airport, 191 O’Riordan Street, Mascot, Sydney, Australia
Tel: +61 2-8398-4650
Website: www.pullmansydneyairport.com.au


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think