Sunday, December 11, 2016

Tin Lung Heen 天龍軒 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

When we first got the news that my sister would be spending Christmas in Hong Kong, the first thing mom thought about was to bring her to Tin Lung Heen (天龍軒). It was not very easy to get a table at the two Michelin starred Tin Lung Heen these days, at least not during the weekend but I wasn't going to leave no stone unturned. Thankfully, we managed to find ourselves a table with this gorgeous view at the very last minute.



Baked barbecued pork and pineapple bun with crispy crust (酥皮焗叉燒菠蘿包) ($90) - One thing I learned from my previous experience dining at Tin Lung Heen is that I can't go wrong with their house specialties. So I'm going to start with something that has their famous barbecued pork in it.



These pineapple buns were so tasty. Always love them when they're crispy on the outside and moist inside. I had a little trouble tasting the char siu because of the flavorful sauce but yes that was a solid start.



Steamed golden shrimp dumpling with bamboo shoot (龍軒筍尖蝦餃) ($90) - I never go yum cha without my har gau so that was a no-brainer for me. The bite sized shrimp meat was nicely wrapped in a thin and delicate wrapper while decorated with the ubiquitous gold foil on top. Pretty decent but somehow not as good as it was last time.



Steamed rice roll with barbecued Iberian pork and mushroom (西班牙黑豚肉叉燒腸粉) ($106) - The key here was again the barbecued Iberian pork which was tender and juicy. One of the best in the business.



Deep-fried taro dumpling with fresh fungi and foie gras (鮮菌鵝肝芋角) ($90) - This was very flaky which was always a good thing when it comes to deep-fried taro dumpling. The fresh fungi and mashed taro were working well together but the foie gras flavors could be a tad stronger.



Soup dumpling with fish maw and bamboo fungus in supreme stock (龍軒瑤柱花膠灌湯餃) ($115) - One of my favorite dishes here. The broth made with fish maw, bamboo fungus among other quality ingredients was so good that I could never stop drinking after my first sip. Don't get me wrong, the dumpling was good too but make no mistake about it, the soup was the focal point of the dish.



"Dragon and phoenix" pork dumplings (龍鳳燒賣皇) ($102) - Okay, I made that English name up all by myself coz it's not printed on the menu. But that's a direct translation from the Chinese name.

This is pork dumpling done two ways, in a nutshell - Steamed pork and scallop dumpling with coriander and steamed pork and prawn dumpling with caviar (香茜帶子、黑魚子蝦球).



These fragrant pork dumplings were really nice. I especially like the subtle kick provided by the coriander and caviar complementing the siu mai flavors beautifully.



Braised e-fu noodle with fresh abalone, ginger and spring onion (薑蔥鮮鮑燴伊麵) ($262) - Everyone seems to want a bit of noodle to go with all the dim sum so I just randomly picked one out of the list. Braised e-fu noodle is always a safe bet since it meshes well with pretty much anything (in this case, fresh abalone).



Dessert was complimentary thanks to the good guys here. I always loooove their chilled sago cream with mango and pomelo (楊枝甘露) so that was just the perfect icing on the cake.







Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 102/F, The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong, International Commerce Centre, 1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon
Tel: +852 2263-2270
Website: www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/china/hong-kong/dining/tin-lung-heen



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think