Saturday, December 3, 2016

Hung's Delicacies 阿鴻小吃 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

It's been a while since I last came to pick someone up from the airport but with my sister making her annual trip from Vancouver, I thought I'd do a little surprise for her by waiting at the airport. I'm dragging mom with me on this trip and first thing first, it's time to eat - Hung's Delicacies (阿鴻小吃).

Hung's Delicacies' rise to fame has a lot to do with their surprising capture of a Michelin star between 2012 and 2014. Since then they have moved out of their North Point flagship location into the industrial Kwun Tong district. But it's easy to forget that they also have another branch at Terminal 2 of the Hong Kong International Airport. Voted as one of the world's best airport restaurants in 2012 by CNN, I definitely had high hopes for this dinner tonight which would most definitely feature their house special marinated goose.



I was caught a little off guard about the lack of selection in their food menu. Other than all the marinated stuff, there seems to be nothing else available here. Not even a decent fried rice.

Vegetarian goose (素鵝) ($65) - Mom and I looove bean curd sheets and we used to fight over these all the time. This, however, was a slightly different version where they marinated it with their house special soy sauce. Pretty decent.



Chef Hung's lou seoi sliced goose (鹵水鵝片) ($198) - This was why we were here in the first place. I thought the price was a little steep coming from a food court style restaurant but I guess you have to pay a little extra for the michelin star pedigree.

I thought this was OK. The lou seoi here seemed to be a little sweeter and thicker than most ones in the market but combining with the sliced goose, was it better than those from Pak Loh Chiu Chow Restaurant (百樂潮州酒樓)? Maybe not. If I was asked to do a blind test, I probably couldn't tell between the two.



Braised vegetables in fermented bean curd sauce (南乳炆齋) ($68) - Two things went wrong here. First of all, there was some hair in there. Not good. Then secondly, it came out of the kitchen about a minute or two after we placed our order so presumably they've made a huge pot of these in the kitchen. The vegetables certainly didn't look or taste fresh at all and well, I really got nothing else to say about this dish other than the fact that it's a complete failure.



This is my first experience with Ah Hung and quite likely my last one too. I thought they stopped serving cafeteria food at the airport a long time ago but I guess I was wrong.

Food Rating: 3.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 3P116, Level 3, SkyPlaza, Terminal 2, Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Airport
Tel: +852 3197-9332


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think