Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Big Bang Don 爆丼屋 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

There are a lot of things we Hongkongers are very good at and one of those is queuing up for food. It's one of those things we're born with - will and patience.

I must admit, I HATE lining up outside restaurants for hours. I would much prefer to re-visit the place again in a few months when people start realizing that it's not hip to dine there anymore. But today, I found myself in uncharted waters here queuing up in front of a relatively new restaurant in Mongkok called Big Bang Don (爆丼屋) who's famous for their giant sashimi rice bowl I was told. And we were finally in after waiting for a good 45 minutes.

Scallops and salmon roe don (帆立貝三文魚籽盛丼) ($168) - Not bad but I was expecting both quality and quantity here in which case, it kind of failed to deliver both at the same time.



Three-coloured sea urchin don (三色海膽盛丼) ($238) - Well, this was pretty much why we waited for 45 minutes in the first place. The three colours refer to three different types of fresh sea urchin coming from Hokkaido, Korea and Canada. The portion was really big and could easily serve 2 to 3 people.

This was fairly nice as the sea urchin was creamy and flavorful. But it was a little heavy to take this down almost all by myself. 



Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 8, G/F, 50 Soy Street, Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Mongkok
Tel: +852 2332-2918


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think