Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Continental (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

The Swire Group finally closed their books on Rowley Leigh's tenure as The Continental's consultant and in a much anticipated move, they have installed Joey Sergentakis as the restaurant's new executive chef. Yes, the same Joey Sergentakis who's responsible for the success of Mr and Mrs Fox (another Swire restaurant).

So the Joey Sergentakis era officially begins at The Continental on 1st August. The Brooklyn borned chef will double his duties on top of his existing role at Mr and Mrs Fox.

I really hate rainy days but thankfully I was pretty much undercover the entire morning. After renewing my international license at the motor vehicle office, I decided to hop over to The Continental to check out Chef Sergentakis' new menu.



What a difference a week and a half has made. I still recalled all those empty seats around here every time I visited this place in the past. But it is buzzing with life and enthusiasm right now.



Right from the start, I could see new life breathed into the new food menu. The Australian cobia, Iceland cod and oh the Asian flavors such as curried carrot velouté and Hanwoo beef. I'm starting to get a little excited.

As usual, I have been having way too much meat of late so this was exactly what the doctor ordered, a little tuna salad Nicoise. This was a good looking salad with quail egg, olive, anchovy, purple onion, saffron poached potato cubes and of course tuna confit. Just by looking at the presentation, you know they've put some thoughts into it. Not bad.




I'm sticking with fish again with my main dish which was Tasmanian salmon wrapped in serrano ham. It was nicely complemented by a potato salad and lemon sabayon. Pretty nice.



I was real tempted to try out their dessert options but between lemon pie and apricot tart, it was a tough call so instead I quickly settled the bill and headed over to Dolce 88 for my sweet treat.

Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Unit 406, L4, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2704-5211 
Website: thecontinentalhongkong.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think