Thursday, August 18, 2016

NH Collection Genova Marina (Genoa, ITALY)

I hate finding hotels in second-tier cities in Europe, especially in Italy where it's always impossible to find anything clean and at the same time, modern, reasonably priced and conveniently located in the center of the city. I run into the same problem once again when I was doing my research for a hotel in Genoa for my recent trip to Europe.

After narrowing down my search (based on my 4 criteria), I suddenly realized there wasn't really much to choose from. MarinaPlace Resort & Spa was supposed to be my first choice but after reading some travelers' comments online, I decided to hold off due to its less-than-ideal location. At the end of the day, I ended up choosing NH Collection Genova Marina, a pretty dated hotel right in the middle of the action.



When I said middle of the action, I was referring to its location right in Porto Antico (old port of Genoa) which is really the place to be in Genoa, as it's very close to the Old Town and Via Garibaldi where you find all the great palaces of Genoa.


There were certainly some positives to take away from my stay at NH Collection Genova Marina. Firstly, both indoor (garage) and outdoor parking are available onsite, which is always a good thing and the price was quite affordable too (22 Euro per day). 

Check-in was also a breeze and within 5 minutes, I got my keys and began rushing upstairs to check out my port-view room.




Then of course, it's the port-view. Part of the reason I decided to stay here and it certainly didn't disappoint. My room had a view of the Marina Porto Antico and I can also see a small part of the old town if I reached far out enough from my little balcony.



Now here comes the part that irritates me a bit. Our room is seriously outdated and desperately needs a facelift. I found all kinds of paint peeling off from the wall and same goes for the bathroom as stains could be seen everywhere from the ceiling. All in all, it's not a pleasant sight. 


I'm sure this place used to look great some 30 years ago but the rooms are in desperate need of a revamp these days. Having said that, I guess this is marginally okay for a short stay considering the very few options out there in the city and prime location but it's definitely not a place where you would want to stay for an extensive period of time.




Another thing that caught us by surprise (pleasant surprise this time) was their breakfast buffet.




The breakfast hall has this amazing view of the marina. While it was still early, I decided to take things slowly by grabbing a cup of coffee to enjoy at one of the quiet corners. 




It was one of the better breakfast I've had for a long time. They have this long bench to show off their nice variety of hot dishes (egg, bacon etc.), focaccia bread, ham, cheese, fruit and dessert.



On the other side of the table, there're freshly squeezed juices and even champagne (Yes champagne!).



This turned out to be one of the best morning I've spent on this road trip.




PS. Il Galeone Neptune, a ship replica of a 17th-century Spanish galleon which was built back in 1985 for Roman Polanski's film "Pirates" could be seen parked right outside the hotel entrance by the water. It should be the first attraction you visit if you're staying at the NH.






Rating: ❤❤❤
Price: €€€
Address: Via Al Ponte Calvi, 5, 16124 Genova, Italy
Tel: +39 010 25391
Website: www.nh-collection.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think