Monday, June 13, 2016

Lan Fong Yuen 蘭芳園 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

There are countless tea cafés or cha chaan tengs in Hong Kong and if you're on a quest to find the best in the city, most signs will point in the direction of Lan Fong Yuen (蘭芳園), one of the oldest cafés in Central.

I had the pleasure of visiting the storied tea café at Gage Street on many occasions but in recent years, it's almost impossible to get into the place. For that, I had the Hong Kong Tourism Board and many tourist guides to thank as they've done a great job promoting this old institution to our visitors. So as a backup plan, I have been shifting my attention to their Tsim Sha Tsui outlet at WK Square on Nathan Road.

Some of Lan Fong Yuen’s signature dishes include the classic Hong Hong style "pantyhose" milk tea (絲襪奶茶), pork chop bun (豬扒包), condensed milk butter bun (奶油豬仔飽) and chicken steak instant noodles with green onion (蔥油雞扒撈丁). I have never been much of a fan for unhealthy fast food but occasionally, I let the guard down once in a while (especially when I visit Lan Fong Yuen).



Starting things off for me tonight was their patented iced milk tea. Unlike what I was used to getting from their Gage Street flagship, the milk tea was pretty "bland" without the usual strong tea flavor. And judging from its color, one could tell there's been a shortage of milk as well.



Instead of the famed chicken steak instant noodles with green onion, I am having their pork chop instant noodles with mushroom sauce. This is again a bit underwhelming. Perhaps I should be sticking with their Gage Street location from now on?



Food Rating: 3.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 26, WK Square Basement, 36-44 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2316-2311


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think