Monday, February 22, 2016

Aberdeen Street Social (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

It's been a rough few weeks for me so I decided to wander a little further for lunch this afternoon. There are a few intriguing options on my mind and after narrowing things down to ON Dining and Aberdeen Street Social, I wasted no time heading over to Central. I kept walking out of IFC until my feet stopped moving near the PMQ.



I've always been a huge admirer of Chef Jason Atherton's contemporary cuisine and it's a real shame that I didn't get to visit Aberdeen Street Social as often as I should.




As quick as I could roll my eyes, a little welcoming dish of nori crackers along with a nice loaf of bread (warm too!) was already waiting on deck. The nori crackers were really nice and crispy. Interesting to see how they pair it with a special squid-ink dip.



First up for me this afternoon was roasted scallops with apple crumble and parmesan cheese foam. I am not quite sure if apple crumble was the right term to describe this dish as I would rather call it an "apple lasagna". 




Anyways, they have this really delicious scallop, roasted to golden brown color, wrapped around with a "sheet" of granny smith apple. The acidity from the granny smith was perfect for the sweetness of the scallop and I love the parmesan cheese foam, crushed hazelnut and dill providing the finishing touch. What a way to start this meal!



It's going to take a lot to impress me with this second dish coz I've never been a big fan of fish but they managed to surprise me with a well executed dish of roasted halibut. The texture of the halibut was nice and buttery, the way I like it. The squid ink risotto was a touch over-seasoned but nevertheless a very enjoyable dish without a question.



For dessert, I was having the caramelized apple "lasagna" with black honey ice-cream, green apply jelly and hazelnuts. Not to be mistaken with my scallop dish earlier, this one also features granny smith and hazelnut. I thought it was quite a pleasant dish. Although I didn't quite see the lasagna in play, I did enjoy the mix of sweetness and acidity.




A very simple petite fours presented with this really strange-looking wooden container. 



I haven't had such an impressive meal for a while (mainly coz I haven't been out a lot lately). There was no doubt in my mind that I would be back here very shortly.

Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$
Address: PMQ, 1/F, JPC, 35 Aberdeen Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central / Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 2866-0300
Website: www.aberdeenstreetsocial.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think