Friday, October 16, 2015

22 Ships (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

When 22 Ships first hit the ground running back in 2012, it became Hong Kong's first tapas bar with a strong Asian twist and with their instant success, it set off a trend that would soon be followed by many others in the F&B business.



But honestly I have not been back as often as I like since the departure of Chef Lee Westcott. As a matter of fact, I think this may very well be my first visit since Chef Nathan Green, former head chef at Restaurant Story, took over the reign as the Executive Chef of 22 Ships and Ham & Sherry.



Crispy oyster, chilli and ginger ($58) - deep fried oyster served on a shell with a bit of pickled ginger and chilli powder. The seaweed on the bottom was for decorative purposes only. Not a bad start.



Spiced quail with mint, yoghurt and cucumber ($118) - But the wheels were about to fall off. My second dish was spiced quail with a small salad and it was brutal. The skin of the quail was soaked with exotic spices but under that skin, the meat was so bland and tasteless!




Green tea cheese cake, lime and yoghurt ($88) - My favorite dessert here was their goat cheese ice-cream but since I have been trying to cut down my cholesterol, I decided to give up my beloved goat cheese and went with the green tea cheese cake. Big mistake there! The cake definitely had strong green tea flavors but where's the cheese?




This place used to be one of my favorite restaurants in the entire city but sadly, it has found its way into my doghouse.

Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: 22 Ship Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2555-0722
Website: www.22ships.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think