Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Haven (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

My last experience dining at Mcgregor Street in Wanchai was a disappointing affair at Le Bistro Winebeast almost 8 months ago. Well, it's been eight months since that faithful afternoon and when a colleague who knows a thing or two about the food scene in Wanchai invited me for lunch there again this afternoon, I gladly accepted the invitation (after confirming with her that we're not going to Le Bistro Winebeast).  



I have no clue how I managed to miss out on this place called Haven, which was just sitting right next to Le Bistro Winebeast all this time. They have a very nicely decorated interior and I especially like their small dining area on the mezzanine floor. Very artful with a touch of Bohemian.



I kicked things off with the daily soup which happened to be a pumpkin soup. Interestingly enough, it didn't seem to carry much taste of pumpkin. The flavors were very mild and for a moment, I actually thought it was carrot.



Just when I was still scratching my head thinking about my pumpkin soup (or what is carrot soup?), my main dish was eagerly awaiting for prime time. This was a really beautifully seared king prawn with linguine and asparagus in a creamy prawn sauce ($138). I could already tell from the aroma that the sauce was carrying very strong and rich flavors. The king prawn was also seared to perfection and was very meaty. That was sublime!



Time was running a little short for our dessert session but no way we were going to skip dessert this afternoon. I managed to check out their creme brulee with a classic caramel glaze (+$30). Really not bad.



I thought apart from the soup, the kitchen did a great job impressing us with a number of solid dishes. I am already thinking about coming back to check out their dinner menu very soon.


Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, Cactus Mansion, 17 Mcgregor Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2891-3710


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think