Friday, August 14, 2015

Scarlett Café & Wine Bar (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

After all the success in Bangkok and Beijing, Scarlett Café & Wine Bar finally landed in Hong Kong this May. Situated on the ground floor of newly opened boutique hotel G Residence, this trendy café and wine bar opens from 7am till late offering a good selection of wine and gourmet food.



The kitchen here is helmed by Executive Chef Emmanuel Xu Zhao who has worked in Michelin-starred kitchens in Paris for a number of years and his objective is very simple - to bring authentic French flavors to Hong Kong.

 


It was a bit early for dinner when I arrived at Scarlett so there would be no wine for me. Instead of the highly touted salad, I just went with a simple pasta instead.

Out of the four pasta, I picked the "Scampi" and was told that I had a choice between spaghetti, fettuccine and penne. Fettuccine please.

There were two things I didn't like about this pasta. Number one, the pasta was badly overcooked and the result was a soft and soggy fettuccine. Terrible bite. This has to be Rule No.1 for cooking pasta - al dente!!! Thumbs down on that one. Secondly, it's not as creamy as advertised (I am reading from the menu here: "Creamy seafood sauce"). Instead I found the sauce a little soupy. 


 

I think this place deserves a second chance. After all, I was in a bit of a rush so didn't really get the chance to sample the "real" French bistro dishes like pan seared foie gras, Burgundy snails, beef tartare and duck leg confit etc. Perhaps next time I will.

PS. The official address of this restaurant is in Tsim Sha Tsui but when I called the place up, they asked me to come from the Jordan MTR station (Exit E). Is this really closer than coming from Tsim Sha Tsui station? I am not entirely sure.


Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 2 Austin Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Jordan / Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3565-6513
Website: www.randblab.com/scarlett.html#2


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think