Saturday, March 21, 2015

Zurriola (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

My second visit to Zurriola turned out to be a lot less enjoyable than the first time around. The modern Spanish restaurant still boasts a 180° view of Victoria Harbour but following the departure of their opening-day Executive Chef Pedro Samper (to Zafran), things appeared not to be the same anymore.

The kitchen is now in the hands of new Executive Chef Jovi Lee. From what I've read from other bloggers, Chef Lee used to work at various Michelin starred restaurants and he likes to give his Spanish dishes a little French twist.

Some unexpected privacy for us on this Saturday afternoon - we were the only customers!



We started things off with a small nibble, a chicken pea purée with some tomato confit and olive oil powder. Despite the diminutive size, I was quite happy with the combination of flavors (6/10).



I wanted something a little refreshing and went with the prawn tartare with herb salad and roasted orange vinaigrette. But this was not what I had in mind, minced prawn that was half cooked. There was nothing terribly wrong with the taste of the dish but what was questionable was the design and execution behind it (3/10).

Perhaps I was jumping the gun expecting something like the fabulous shrimp tartare I had at La Saison by Jacques Barnachon.


 
However, mom seemed to be enjoying her mushroom cappuccino with Arabica coffee bean foam. I had a spoonful of it and confirmed that it was indeed a much better choice than my prawn tartare (6/10).




I had the yellow chicken supreme with carrot and honey beans as my main course and it was a pretty decent dish. The chicken was a little lean but I liked the fact that they didn't put too much seasoning there and tried to preserve the natural taste of all the ingredients (5/10).


 
Mom is a big seafood lover and she certainly loved those tiger prawns with homemade linguini in lemon and butter emulsion. I had mixed feelings with those homemade linguini though as they were a little spongy and perhaps too buttery for my liking (4.5/10).



My mom and I never seemed to agree on anything. Even dessert, we went our separate ways with our own choice. I had the chocolate and cherry with coffee reduction that was well, slightly disappointing (3.5/10).




The raspberry and tarragon with "its own sorbet" was a far better choice and definitely a much much better palate cleanser (6/10). 




It was not a particularly inspiring meal. Mom seemed to like the view here but I was not so sure if I would ever come back again (And I am still unsure.). Without Chef Samper, the food was definitely not what it used to be and I am afraid there are just way too many better choices out there when it comes to modern Spanish cuisine.


Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 18/F, The One, 100 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2253-7111
Website: www.zurriola.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think