Saturday, February 7, 2015

Make It (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

It's been a busy week leading up to Chinese New Year which is just less than 2 weeks away. After our company dinner last night, it's dinner with my folks tonight. We decided to keep it simple this year and eat at home for a change. 

I was usually the one to stir up the pot so I decided to get something sweet for everyone prior to dinner time. My first choice was Paul Lafayet as mom never had anything there before but everything was almost sold out by the time I arrived. At the end, I had to go thru my contingency plan and went with something off the chart - "Make It" (Sorry, but I didn't know this place exists!).



Situated in the basement level of Langham Place, Make It looks like a new kid on the block. It's an ice-cream parlour doubling as a small cake shop.

But by the look of it, I knew right away that I wasn't getting the same quality as Paul Lafayet; just that I had no other option right in front of me.



Cherry Cream Cake ($34), 4/10
I was expecting something different but this turned out to be a local-style black forest cake infused with cherry. I gave them credit for the transformation after adding four pieces of white chocolate to each side.  




Hazelnut cream cake ($36), 3.5/10
Tasted like a chocolate mousse cake that was slightly spiced with hazelnut flavor. Not nearly smooth enough in texture nor rich in taste.



Raspberry mousse cake, 3/10
The best looking one from the trio turned out to be the most disappointing one. The mousse was very very soft and lacking depth.



If I ever decide to come back (which I doubt), I would only consider their signature "rose" ice-cream.




Food Rating: 3.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 01, Level B2, Langham Place, 8 Argyle Street, Mong Kok, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Mongkok
Tel: +852 3580-2250


Hong Kong, Mong kok, Langham Place, cafe, dessert, patisserie, pastry, cake

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think