Monday, December 1, 2014

White Button Café & Dessert (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Upstairs cafés have never really been my cup of tea mainly because of my allergies with coffee but most recently I have started my upstairs adventure while trying my best to avoid coffee.

The latest upstairs cafe on my lookout is White Button Café & Dessert, a bistro-café and dessert bar combined all under one roof.

Located on the oft-busy Ashley Road in Tsim Sha Tsui, White Button Café & Dessert can be found on the 12th floor of Ashley Centre, a commercial building with various interesting dining options that already include Turkish restaurant Ottoman and Indian restaurant Gaylord.

I came out of the elevator looking for a signage that could lead me straight to White Button café and couldn't really ask for one any clearer than this (but with A4 papers?)!



This is a really spacious cafe for Hong Kong standard. It's a perfect hiatus after a busy day of work.



It feels like visiting a friend's house and sitting comfortably at his living room.



The food menu consists of mostly Italian dishes such as spaghetti carbonara and aspargaus risttoto but I was far more impressed with the drink list and dessert menu. 

While the drink list features signature drinks such as "The Eiffel Tower", I decided to go for a matcha latte without caffeine. Very good but a little too foamy.



Of course, I had to try one of the pastas. Spaghetti carbonara was my choice and it was a pleasant surprise. Very good creamy texture although the pasta could have a stronger bite (overcooked 1-2 minutes).



Now time for my main course - mango-flavored cronut. I have come all the way for this and it's nice to know that they are freshly made to order. 

After approximately 10-15 minutes, it's finally ready. Wow, it's huge.

This is very crispy with a rich buttery taste. I liked the fresh mango cubes, custard cream and mango sauce that mesh well with it.




The food rating given is slightly generous but I do have a soft spot for home grown cafes especially ones with a lot of heart like White Button.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$
Address: 12/F, Ashley Centre, 23 Ashley Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel:+852 2372-9998


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think