Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Pawn (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

The newly renovated The Pawn is ready to roll again starting the beginning of this month but all eyes are on their newly appointed executive chef Tom Aikens, who has been one of the most successful British chef in recent years.

On paper, Chef Aikens has the perfect track record to right the ship at The Pawn. After all, the acclaimed chef was the youngest chef in Britain to earn two Michelin stars at the tender age of 26.

I arrived about an hour late but was overjoyed when they told me they were still holding my table for me.



I love this new space with all the designer furniture.



And of course, the open kitchen where we have a clear view of the kitchen staff preparing different dishes.



We went for their 3-course set at $195 and my choice of starter was a lovely Caesar salad with anchovy and lobster (6/10).



Baked grouper with pumpkin purée and pine nuts was my main course and it was delicious (6/10).




My only complaint was that it had a little too much oil at the bottom.




I had a choice between coffee and their sticky toffee pudding and I made this decision in about a fraction of a second. A decision I would never regret.

Can this be as good as the one I had at Gordon Ramsay's Bread Street Kitchen & Bar? This was a little less moist than Gordon Ramsay's but I liked the stronger flavor and crunchy texture. Call it a draw. 

If you're scared by the richness of sticky toffee, try eating it with the date ice-cream. Perfect balance (7/10).



Much more consistency from what I've seen so far. I will be back to check up on Chef Aikens and his team shortly. Stay tuned.


Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: 2/F, 62 Johnston Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2866-3444
Website: www.thepawn.com.hk



View Larger Map

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think