Tuesday, August 26, 2014

L'altro (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

It's always tough to say goodbyes. 

I had a bit of mixed feelings when I first learned about my good friend Agent-I going off to Singapore for greener pastures. As a friend, I was very happy for her to finally get this golden opportunity she had always wanted but on the other hand, I knew I would be losing a good dinner buddy. It's kind of bittersweet.

I wanted this dinner to be right but with the usual high standard that Agent-I sought for, it's going to be a tough call. After going through a few dozen restaurants, we finally had a lock on Chef Philippe Léveillé's L'altro, one of my favorite Italian restaurants in town. 

After hearing some really good things about their Tasmanian black truffle dinner, I was all geared up for it but was disappointed to find that their black diamonds were currently out of stock due to shipment problems. I guess no truffles for us tonight.  



Instead we ordered the standard 4-course dinner at $680. It didn't take long for our amuse bouche to arrive. A small salmon roll with ricotta cheese topped with a grapefruit foam.

This was not a good start, the cheese was a little too mild to go with the flavorful salmon (4/10).

 

We traded the original starter, beef carpaccio for one of the house specialties - Sicilian red prawn with rosemary chickpeas cream, chili and tomato foam and the red prawn certainly did not disappoint. It was pan fried beautifully and if they could leave it slightly raw inside, it would be perfect (7/10).



It continued to get better with the next dish, a home-made spaghetti with Italian clams, confit tomatoes, pantelleria capers and seawater emulsion. The spaghetti had terrific texture that went superbly well with the capers and seawater emulsion. I don't think I can find a better pasta anywhere in Hong Kong (8.5/10).



While we were still talking about how much we enjoyed our last dish, another house specialty was ready to be served. The aromatic one-side grilled Bresse pigeon was comfortably sitting on top of a bed of squid and chorizo brunoise with the foie gras sauce providing the finishing touch.


This was the second time I enjoyed this dish now and it's still as good as ever (8.5/10).



Dessert was their homemade Miramonti ice-cream in Vanilla flavor (6/10).
 



Every time I visit L'altro, it seems like that the restaurant is either completely empty or super quiet with one or two tables. I found that rather surprising considering that the food here is so amazing and unique. I must admit the vibe and service aren't exactly top notch, but Chef Philippe Léveillé's cuisine definitely is.




Food Rating: 8/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 10/F, The L. Place, 139 Queen’s Road Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 2555-9100
Website: http://laltro.hk/



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think