Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Glasshouse (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

A few months ago, Glasshouse took over the space vacated by the closure of H One on the terrace of Podium level 4 at the IFC. I didn't really pay much attention to this new opening until most recently when a friend told me that Glasshouse was the latest venture by the Gaia Group.

In the past, the Gaia Group has always been focused solely on Italian cuisine. Isola, Va Bene, Joia etc. are just a few of the many Italian restaurants under the management of this group. But recently they have shifted their attention to Asian cuisine with Greyhound café and now Glasshouse leading the charge.



Glasshouse seems to be a very fitting name for this restaurant. It's literally a glasshouse situated on the roof of the IFC Shopping mall.




I had a long walk from the MTR station and was already soaking wet when I arrived at the restaurant. Time to grab a thirst quenching banana smoothie ($58) before we start ordering food.



When I first saw the menu, I thought I was dreaming. Everything here is so reasonably priced with most starters set under $100 and most main courses under $200. Is there a place that offers better value for money in IFC, I am not sure.

Spicy sambal chicken wings ($68), 5/10
I am a chicken wing freak and this is my third day in a roll having wings. A special sambal sauce put a spicy twist to these wonderfully roasted wings. 



Crab cakes with edamame beans and organic corn with yuzu mayo ($98), 5/10
Sometimes I am a little scared to order crab cakes because I have had a few of them with more potatoes than crab meat in it.

But I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of crab meat here. The yuzu mayo could have been a lot better though.



My "Pad Thai" with black ink noodles with barbeque pork, tofu, free range hen egg and soy bean sprouts ($128), 3/10

I had pretty high expectation for this dish due to the fact that it's marked as a signature dish. Our server told us to mix the soft boiled egg well with the noodles before we started eating them.

Despite all the flavorful ingredients, I thought it was a little bland. Even the black ink noodles were lacking squid ink flavor. 



Singapore style noodles with red lobster, Serrano ham, goose liver and homemade curry ($178), 6/10

But they did redeem themselves with the next dish - stir-fried Singaporean style noodles with red lobster meat, Serrano ham, goose liver and homemade curry. If you're into spicy food, then you have to try this one for sure.




Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$
Address: Shop 4009, Level 4, IFC Mall, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 2383-4008
Website: www.glasshousehongkong.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think