Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Upper Modern Bistro (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

It's been a busy month of April and May with all the new restaurant openings that all of a sudden, I found myself in unfamiliar territories - I haven't made my usual stops at some of my favorite restaurants in more than 2 months!

Upper Modern Bistro has always been one of my favorite hang-out places. But it's been a few months since my last visit now so this return visit is long overdue.

 

Despite coming here as often as I had, I was surprised that it's my very first lunch at Chef Phillipe Orrico's "playground".



 
Their bread has always been good. Or perhaps I was too hungry to tell the difference (it's almost 2:30pm. Luckily last order was 3pm)?



I had their dinner menu nearly memorized by now but when it came to their set lunch, I was just a newbie so it was comforting to have my server to take some quality time to explain things in details. 

Okay, I was supposed to pick any main course from the menu. I had an option to add another $40 for the soup of the day or a garden salad and then a dessert. What a great bargain!

I had enough veggies of late so soup of the day sounded just about right. And what a great decision that was! A silky smooth potato soup was poured into a bowl of egg white and potato cubes. The fragrance was so irresistible.

 


I took their saffron risotto with octopus and scallops to be my main course. The creamy texture and saffron flavor harmonized each other perfectly.



Even the dessert was no throw-in! A chestnut cake with chestnut ice-cream and passion fruit. What a sweet way to finish up this delightful lunch.




Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$
Address:  6-14 Elegance Court, G/F Upper Station Street, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central / Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 2517-0977
Website: www.upper-bistro.com



View Larger Map

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think