Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Amber (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Amber is probably my second favorite fine dining restaurant in Hong Kong, right behind Caprice (Who else?). Led by Culinary Director Richard Ekkebus, Amber never fails to impress us with their contemporary interpretation of classic French dishes.

The two Michelin-starred restaurant also has the contemporary décor to match its cuisine. Elegant yet not too flashy. No wonder it's becoming a fixture in the Michelin guide and World's 50 best restaurants.



We quickly found ourselves right in the middle of the action with our first amuse bouche but the chestnut panna cotta was slightly off the mark (3/10).



Though our second amuse bouche, their signature foie gras lollipops more than made up for it (8/10).



Amber always has one of the best foie gras terrines in Hong Kong and that would be my choice for starter on this day.

I really enjoyed the silky smooth foie gras terrine but the passion fruit jelly had a little bit too much acidity (5/10).



Poached line-caught cod fish with what looked like onion crumble on top was served on a pool of green peas. It was an enjoyable dish but one that would not be considered as overly impressive (6/10).



I didn't bring my camera along with me so bear with me on this out-of-focus picture of my beef tenderloin.

Trust me on this one. It was nothing to write home about (5/10).



Dessert was slim picking and I had the dark chocolate tart with banana sorbet.

Not a big fan of dark and bitter chocolate (4/10).



I have had much better days dining at Amber on different occasions in the past. This was not very indicative of what this kitchen is capable of.


Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 15 Queen's Road, The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, The Landmark, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Tel: +852 2132-0066
Website: www.amberhongkong.com
S. Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants: 90th (2010)


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think